Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sorry, got behind. 2 more emails from 9/15/2014

Hello everyone

It is very nice to hear what is going on back in the states. as for me it has just been another week in paradise. Elder Orr was sick at the beginning of this week so I had to just sit around the flat waiting for him to get better. Then we went on our last exchange of the transfer. then we had our last district meeting of the transfer. 
 
I got to teach my twenty fifth lesson yesterday which was exciting (not counting lessons taught to members at dinner appointments and such), also one of our investigators with a baptismal date has read all the way up the end of Alma, and the other one has said that he doesn't feel like drinking any more; which is amazing because missionaries have been trying to get him to give it up so he can get baptized for two years now. So hopefully in the next three or four weeks I will be sending home some baptism pictures!!! 
 
Things are going great out here! I cannot believe I am already on week five of the transfer next week is going to be my first dodge week! although there is pretty much no chance that I will be going anywhere so it is not a true dodge week but still. 
 
I swear that the Weeks are shorter here because it still feels like I got off the plane yesterday but I have been in the UK for over six weeks. I am so glad that I came out here. 
 
(please make sure this next part gets read to the young men in the ward) 
 
I would encourage everyone of you to serve a mission. If for no other reason, do it so that you can  learn to more fully appreciate the atonement of Jesus Christ. 
 
When I came out here I thought I understood the atonement pretty well, but now I realize that I did not have a clue. You cannot claim to understand the atonement until you have found people who are in desperate need of his salvation and you show them the way; you teach them what they need to know; and you invite them read the book of Mormon or come to church; they say that they might, and you pray and fast with all the energy of your soul that they will be filled with a desire to do what you invited them to do.  You fast and pray like you have never fasted or prayed in your life; and then you go to see if they come to church or read the book of Mormon and they did not do it. 
 
And you experience the greatest feeling of disappointment you will ever feel in your life, and say to yourself "Why? I did everything my power to bring you closer to God and all that you had to do was show up to church or read the book of Mormon and you did not do it." 
 
And then finally you partially understand how the Savior feels about you, because you realize that he loves you more than you love your investigators, and that he has done all the work so that you can come closer to God, and all you had to do was accept it, and yet how many times have you not done it for some foolish reason. 
 
And you finally come to realize that when we choose not to fully partake of the atonement of Christ, we cause him to feel the same sorrow that you feel when your investigators do not follow through. 
 
If you were an ordinary man you would give up after feeling that kind of disappointment, but you are not an ordinary man any more: you are a representative of Jesus Christ, the savior and redeemer of the world, and he would not give up and let the atonement go to waste, and neither will you. 
 
So you go back again, you teach them again, and invite them again. Sometimes this process goes on for months, until finally it happens!  And they come to church or they read the book of Mormon, and you feel a joy that you have never felt before, and you finally realize why Jesus went through the atonement; why He suffered so much because He knew that He would feel this joy at bringing so many souls back to God and that in the end it would all be worth it. 
 
I won't lie to you, a mission is hard, but you will never have another opportunity to learn the things you learn out here.  You will never have another chance that you can say that you went out everyday and did work of Lord and even if everyone rejects you, you can still have joy, because you brought one soul to to God, and that was yours. 
 
But I can promise you that if you have faith, and you work hard everyday, you will get baptisms and you will have great success. and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Happy Birthday Mom!

I am so glad that P day fell on your birthday this year, so I could send you an Email.  I believe I said this in the Email that you did not get last week, but I did get your letter with my drivers licence and everything which is good because President said that he wants me to start driving next transfer (yikes!!!) 
 
But I guess it makes sense because Elder Orr is probably only going to be here for one more transfer while he finishes training me, then he will go some where else and I will probably stay in the forest. 
 
I liked the pictures of what you did to Trev's room and with everything else I hear your doing, I probably won't recognize the place when I get back home (hahaha). 
 
By the way when are Bethany and Abi expecting? I can not remember, and do you think any of the other girls are about to make an announcement? 
 
Well Mom, I hope you have a very happy birthday today!  I love very much and I wish I could say that I wish I was back home enjoying it with you, but to be honest I have too much I need to do over here still so I don't wish I was back home yet.
 
Best of Britain

Elder Landon Purser
 

No comments:

Post a Comment