Monday, August 18, 2014

2 emails 8/18/2014

First the email to Dad,

Here's a short quote from my email to him:  "One question. . . how did the 'Hi president, I can't ride a bike,' discussion go ?"


Hey

To answer your question the president and I have not had a discussion about the fact that I cannot ride a bike, which is strange because 90% of the missionaries here use bikes as their primary method of transportation. 
All I know is that when I went into his office, he said hello and asked if we could kneel down and pray. Then before I could open my mouth to say anything, he said he had changed his mind and asked if we could stand and pray. Then we had a short talk about the mission and when I would find out who my companion was.
He said that he had not yet decided which trainer would go with which new missionary. Then he asked what qualities I would like in my trainer and I told him, then he asked if I would pray for him to know which trainer to assign me to and I said I would and I did. Then an hour later he assigned me to Elder Orr and the forest of dean area, which is one of the only two areas of the mission where you get to drive a car. So either the president was inspired or he already knew I couldn't ride a bike or both.

Anyway I have about ten minutes left before I get kicked off, so just for fun, I will write some of the mission/English lingo that I have learned and we can see how much of it you can decode. 

So, I was born in the forest to my father Orr.  My older brother's name is Hunter but I have never met him. After we finish writing our emails, we will go down to the high street and get a cover for my duvet.  Then we will spend a power hour tidying our flat, then my father is going to take me out for my first chippy. It is a bit cloudy here so we might need to take our brawlies in case it tips down. Well I've got to dash now, but I wish you the best of Britain. 
Cheers!

Elder Purser
 ----------------------------------------
Now the email to Mom:

Hey everyone,
Today is my first P day in the field. Elder Orr and I are just at the library checking our Emails. I don't have a lot of time because I only paid for an hour and half (and it cost me three pounds how ridiculous is that) (Dad comment: that's about $6.00 US) But when I get a library card in a few days, then I can use the computers for as long as I like. Which translates into two hours, because the white bible says that's how long we get to spend on the computer. 

Anyway the last few days have been quite a wild ride. I got to Birmingham on Wednesday. I met the mission president and his wife.  We took a couple pictures and had lunch. 

Then the next thing I knew they assigned me my trainer, Elder Orr and I got in a car and drove for two hours to go to Wales.  Our area is one of the biggest in the missions and the actual Forest of Dean covers most of it. 

So every time we have to go anywhere, we have to drive through the forest.  Which is really cool, because it is so densely over grown that they have only cut out the exact space needed to be able to drive through, so it is like driving down a dark green tunnel. 

My companion and I have worked really hard the last few days trying to find people to teach, because last week was transfers and that completely upsets the work, especially when you have to drive long distances by car to get back and forth from where they do the transfers. 

But I think we have got things back on track; we have two appointments with investigators this week and we have a list of potential investigators that is about a mile long.  Now if we can just get even a fifth of those people to actually let us into their homes so we can teach them, we will be in business. 

Well I better wrap this up, I only have about fifty minutes until they kick me out of here and I still need to Email the President. 

If you need to mail me anything please send it to my flat at the address below, or you can send them to the mission home but those will take longer to get to me. Well I have got to go.

Sincerely,
Elder Purser
16 St. James square
flat # 1
Monmouth
NP25 3DN
Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment