Monday, October 20, 2014

Emails, 9/29

Hello! How is everyone back in Idaho? To answer the burning question, I am still in the Forest of Dean, which is not really a surprise since I have only been here one transfer, so it would be pretty crazy for them to move me after only six weeks. 

It is hard to believe that I have been in the UK for two months now with two 
weeks in the MTC and six weeks out here in the forest and my first transfer 
is already over! well one down sixteen more to go. 

It is interesting to hear that you guys have been having so much rain, because 
we have had hardly any since I came out here. It rained almost every day in the 
MTC but it has only rained maybe seven or eight times since I came to the forest. 
Apparently God is sending it all your way for a change, but that will all change 
when winter sets in then it will rain 24/7 for two or three months with occasional sleet. Last week was pretty ruff we had to drop a few investigators and the excitement
of living in England has finally wore off and I had trouble sleeping, but I am 
feeling much better now. One really awesome thing that happened last week was that we fish and chips three times! Once we bought some at the seven seas chip shop on P day and the members fed it to us two more times later in the week. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. As I told you in my last Email I got my 
haircut last P day. It was a very novel experience going to a barber shop and having an old man cut my hair and actually having to pay for it. Today we are going to check out Monmouth castle and the military museum where they have all these tanks and stuff. One cool thing I have found out is that all of the 
smaller museums here are free admission. Which is really cool since we are just a 
couple of poor missionaries. And we really are poor missionaries, because today was 
the last p day of the month and we spent the last of our money, (which was not very 
much) stocking up on groceries because we will not have any more money until next 
p day. So for the first five days of this upcoming month we will be living off of 
last month's left overs until they send us more money next p day. We got a call from the mission office today and they said that we have an appointment
to meet with the guy who owns our new flat that we are going to move into, to prepare 
to move in, which is good, because we only have nine more days until we get evicted. 
So we really need to move this week. Well, this Email is getting pretty long so I will wrap this up. I hope that every thing 
continues to go OK back home. Elder Purser

--------------------------------

Hi Dad

Nice try with the English words, but unfortunately a Faggot is not a cigarette, it is a meat ball that is not in the shape of a ball and it is a very proper English dish (lots of missionaries have been tricked in the past by that, they go over to a members house for dinner are told that they are having faggots for dinner and then the family gets a laugh about the American missionaries reaction) and a fritter is also an English dish and it is basically just a fried egg.
Your fun fact for this week is that King Henry V was born about two hundred meters from our flat here in Monmouth, at Monmouth Castle which elder Orr and I are going to visit today! 
And your English words for the day are bonnet and boot and no they are not articles of clothing.  I will give you a hint car. Speaking of cars, tell Trevor I saw a Ford Focus today and the European version is even uglier than the American style one. Also do not tell Mom this, but we had lunch as a district last week and we ate at the Hungry Horse Pub and Restaurant.
It is quite funny because in America we think of pubs like bars but most pubs are more like red robin or olive garden where they serve food and alcohol, but it is not a big deal. There are pubs that are strictly for drinking and you have to make sure you avoid those, especially at night when they are full of drunk people. But most of them are for eating and drinking and they are really cool inside. We do not go to any very often though, simply because of the bad reputation they have, and we like fish and chip shops better.
Any way, well, I got to go. Let me know if the world ends or anything important like that happens while I am gone. I will let you know what watching conference here is like. It is really weird, because we watch it in the evening over here, because of the time difference.

Cheers

Elder Purser

P.S. cheers means hello, good bye, thank you, and anything else you decide to have it mean

No comments:

Post a Comment